Share Your Story
What's your story? Share it with your community — and hear their stories too! Record yourself telling a short but true story from your life (be it funny, sad or life-changing) and share it for a chance to win an iPad Mini or a $50 gift card to Amazon, Best Buy or Schuler Books & Music in a random prize drawing! The program starts January 1 and runs through February 8, 2014. Adults and teens are both welcome to participate. Posted stories can be found at http://www.youtube.com/KentDistrictLibrary. Don't have a way to record at home? No problem! The following branches can help by providing a quiet room with a laptop and microphone to record your story. Please call ahead to reserve a time.
Register and submit your story today!
What Story Should I Tell?
- a disastrous date
- an encounter that changed your life
- a moment of failure or success
- an embarrassing or frightening experience
- a memorable journey
- an occasion when you experienced rejection or acceptance
- the breakup or creation of a friendship
- an experience that showed how we should be careful of what we wish for
- a significant misunderstanding
- a dangerous experience
- an experience that showed how appearances can be deceiving
- an account of a difficult decision that you had to make
- an act of heroism or cowardice
- a rebellious act
- a day when everything went right (or wrong)
- an experience that made you laugh until you cried
- the experience of being lost
Rules & Guidelines
- This program is intended for adults and teens.
- The program is open to Kent County residents.
- Stories must be submitted between January 1 and February 8, 2014 using the form below.
- Submissions become the property of Kent District Library.
- Winning entries will appear on KDL's YouTube page.
- One grand prize winner will receive an iPad Mini. Other prizes include $50 gift cards to Amazon, Best Buy and Schuler Books & Music. All winners will be announced by February 15.
- Staff and immediate family are not eligible to enter this contest.
- Your story MUST be 5 minutes or less in length
- Your story MUST be a TRUE, personal, and original (no fiction, no monologues, stand up, poetry, etc.)
- Your story MUST be shared in audio format (.mp3, .wma or .wav). No video. Just words.
- Your story MUST NOT contain material that is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent, profane or derogatory
- A practiced tale is encouraged, but not an overly memorized or recited telling.
- It's very helpful to know what you want to say before you record your story. A little bit of practice goes a long way. Keep an eye on the time as you practice — it's easy to forget how fast five minutes goes.
We look forward to your story submissions!