Partygoers can expect the unexpected as Kent District Library brings back SuperPartyWonderDay, a free public event that features something for everyone.
SuperPartyWonderDay is a community celebration that brings together bands, brews, bikes and BBQ – all things that patrons of the award-winning KDL system can explore through its programs and services. On Sunday, Aug. 11 from 2:00 to 7:00 p.m. at the Meadows of Millennium Park, located at 1415 Maynard Ave. SW in Walker, the event goes “Beyond Books” to celebrate the breadth of offerings that KDL provides – and the area communities that makes it a success.
“We will have a huge assortment of fun activities that will celebrate how KDL takes our patrons beyond books,” said Kip Odell, programming manager. “Whether you’re a fan of bands, beer, bikes or BBQ, you may be surprised about what KDL offers to the community.”
Highlights for all ages include:
- The winners of the KDaLe Home Brew Competition will be on tap, brewed by Gravel Bottom Brewing, Railtown Brewing and Pike 51. Cedar Springs Brewing Company and Cascade Winery will also be serving drinks to event-goers.
- Performances by Afro Zuma, Cønrad Shøck + the Nøise and The Porters will provide entertainment throughout the day. Other activities include Touch a Truck, Drums for All and Kid’s Zumba.
- The SuperPartyWonderRide will offer participants an opportunity to hop on their bikes and cruise through the park led by a squadron of KDL Cruisers. Bicycle parking and support provided by Bike KDL and Greater Grand Rapids Bicycle Coalition.
- The Rib Cook-Off will give grilling aficionados the opportunity to put their skills to the test. The event is sponsored by the Grilling Company. Participants will be judged on taste, visual appearance and tenderness. The public will be allowed to get in the action and sample tastes of the participants’ entries.
- Food trucks, including YoChef, El Jalapeno, Do Your Wurst, Kona Ice of West GR and Sacred-Springs Kombacha, will be on hand to serve up goodies.
- Young partygoers will have a chance to enjoy water play, dino digging, bubble blowing and more hands-on fun.
- Prize drawings will be held.
While seating is available throughout the venue, ample lawn space is available for lawn chairs or blankets. Children and dogs are welcome. Parking is free.
Main-stage entertainment and craft brew sales will take place under the shade of the pavilion, while other activities will take place on the surrounding lawn.
For more information on the event, visit www.superpartywonderday.com. Connect with KDL on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter with #KDLSuperParty.