June 1, 2020: One Dead Spy: The Life, Times, and Last Words of Nathan Hale, America's Most Famous Spy by Nathan Hale
- What did you like about the book?
- Is there anything you didn't like?
- Had you ever heard of Nathan Hale before?
- Did you find anything funny about the book?
- Why do you think Nathan Hale the author only used a few colors throughout the story? Did you like that or did you wish it was full color?
- Compared to other comics/graphic novels you've read, what did you think of Hale's artwork?
- Is there anything you want to learn more about now that you've read this book?
- Do you think Nathan Hale was a good spy? Why or why not?
- Would you have wanted to be a spy during the American Revolution?
- Why do you think the Boston Tea Party was important?
June 15, 2020: Camp by Kayla Miller
- Have you ever been to camp? Did you like it? If not, what do you think would be the best part? The hardest part? Was your camp similar to Camp Acorn Lake or really different?
- Do you think you’re more like Olive or Willow when you go somewhere new? Does it take you longer to get used to a new place, or do you dive in right away?
- If you got to make your own video like Olive and her friends do, what kind of movie would you make?
- What are some of your favorite graphic novels? Have you read any other new ones lately?
- Did you like the book? What did you like about it?
- Did Olive and Willow change from the beginning of the book to the end?
- Were Olive and Willow good friends to each other?
- Did the camp counselors help them? How?
- Which activity that Olive and Willow got to do at camp sounded the coolest to you?
- Had you heard of Rube Goldberg machines before?
- Were there any characters or parts of the story you wish you’d gotten to hear more about?
- What did you think of the artwork in this graphic novel? Anything you wish had been different?
Videos of Rube Goldberg machines:
- OK Go - This Too Shall Pass
- The Quarantine Machine: A toilet paper chain reaction
- Rube Goldberg Soap Challenge
June 29, 2020: The Time Museum by Matthew Loux
- The Time Museum internship is very unique summer job. If you could have any summer job, what would it be? Why?
- Would you want to time travel if you could? Why or why not?
- If you could time travel, what period in time would you like to visit?
- What did you think of Greer? Why do you think she acted the way she did?
- What character from the book do you think you are you most like/least like? Who was your favorite character?
- What do you think the relationship is between Uncle Lyndon and the Grey Earl?
- A lot of the interns have a particular skill they bring to the group. Delia loves science. Her roommate is good with robots. What would your skill be if you were in the group?
- Would you rather have a robot cat or a kiwi bird for a pet?
- What did you think of the art style? (I will share here that it bothers me that no one has lips haha)
July 13, 2020: The Cardboard Kingdom by Chad Sell
- Which of the characters in Cardboard Kingdom are you most like?
- Which story was your favorite?
- Have you ever built a fort? Made your own costume?
- Do you like to play pretend?
- Do you have friends in your neighborhood that you hang out with in the summer?
- Why do you think Roy was a bully at the beginning? How does he change?
- What is your favorite thing to do in the summer?
- Some of the characters have younger siblings. Do you have any younger siblings? Do you have fun playing with them or do they drive you crazy?
- What would be your Cardboard Kingdom alter ego? Describe what your character would look like and why you would choose this character.
- If you were given a stack of cardboard, scissors, tape, and markers, what would you create? Why?
- Would you rather be a character who is medieval like the Knight and the Sorceress or modern like the Robot and the Mad Scientist? Why?
- Which type of character most appeals to you — a hero or a villain? Explain your answer.
- If you were a superhero or villain, what one power would you have? Explain.
- It can be difficult to join a new group. What would you do if someone was trying to join your group of friends? Explain the reasons for your behavior.
- If you were to create your own land and kingdom, what would be the theme? Why?
- What is one bucket list item you would like to scratch off your list by the last day of summer? Explain your reason for choosing that activity.
- Cardboard Kingdom Draw-Along: The Gargoyle
- Cardboard Kingdom Draw-Along: Big Banshee
- Cardboard Kingdom Draw-Along: The Beast
- Drawing The Cardboard Kingdom: Roar of the Beast
July 27, 2020: Mission Moon by Drew Brockington
- Have any of you ever visited the White House? Washington DC? What was it like?
- Each Catstronaut has a special job for their mission. Which job would you want? Tech specialist, science officer, pilot, commander? Something else?
- Waffles always brings a snack with him when he goes places. What would your mission snack be if you could only pack one?
- At one point in chapter 3 we see a cat with Neil on his sweater. Do any of you know who that cat is supposed to be?
- Does the G-Force Simulator seem cool or scary to you? How do you think you'd do if you tried it out? What about the bungie cords that simulate the moon's low gravity? The airplane that makes you weightless?
- What part of the Catstronaut's training seemed coolest to you? hardest?
- If you had your own robot what would you want it to help you with?
- Have you ever built something with complicated instructions before? Do you like having instructions or would you rather create something on your own?
- Would you want to travel to the moon?
- If you went to space, what do you think you would you miss the most about Earth?
- Which CatStronaut is your favorite?
- Do you think the plan to build a solar power plant on the moon was a good idea?
- Blanket smuggled Cat-stro-bot into space. If you were going to space, what is something you’d want to bring along?
- Why do you think the author chose to make all of the characters cats?