Test your grilling skills against other rib aficionados at the Sunday, Aug. 11, KDL SuperPartyWonderDay. This cook-off event, which is in partnership with The Grilling Company in Belmont, Mich., will take place at The Meadows at Millennium Park.
The deadline for entry is Sunday, August 4.
- $75 per team - registrants will receive follow-up to pay the entry fee through the Grilling Company after registering.
What We Will Provide
- Extra hairnets and gloves
- Washing station for bins and utensils
- Handwashing stations
- Trash bins
- Containers for Judges Choice
- Aluminum containers for People’s Choice
- Napkins, plates, forks, toothpicks for People’s Choice tasting
- Grease pan and coal bin for after grilling
- A team may consist of one (1) chief cook and up to 3 additional members of the team.
- All team members must be 18 years old or older.
- Each team will be provided 6 racks of St. Louis Style Ribs. One (1) will be for turn in to judges, five (5) will be for spectators for People’s Choice Awards.
- Each team’s “turn-in” box for judging will be provided and must be used.
- No marking or sculpting of the meat or “turn-in” box will be tolerated. No garnish, side sauce containers or any other foreign objects such as foil, toothpicks or skewers are allowed in the “turn-in” box. Failure to comply with this rule will result in disqualification.
- Each team is to provide a grill/cooker that will be used exclusively by that team. Wood, charcoal, gas/propane and smoker type barbeques are allowed. Contestants may not dig pits, and fires are not allowed on the ground. No par-broiling or frying in oil is permitted.
- Each team is responsible for providing ALL of their own supplies: including pop up tents, if desired (no larger than 10x10), weights to hold down tent, tables, chairs, ample cooking utensils, ingredients, supplies, gloves, thermometer, hats/hairnets.
- Cooking may only begin after approval from the organizers!
- Only the provided ribs are to be cooked during the competition.
- Ribs must be cooked and seasoned on site within the confines of our team’s assigned cooking space.
- Ribs may be seasoned, sauced or not, and cooked in a manner you feel will deliver a competitive product in the time allowed.
- NO ice or water will be provided.
- Safe food handling guidelines must be followed! Shoes and shirts must always be worn during cooking. No use of tobacco products while handling the meat.
- Any questions concerning the rib cook-off should be directed to Keith at The Grilling Co., who will make the final decisions. These decisions will be based on what is best for the contest and the contestants.
- Failure to comply with the rules is cause for disqualification.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of judges.
- Scores will be based on Appearance, Tenderness/Texture, and Taste.
- The scoring system is 10 (excellent) to 2 (bad). Any whole number between 10 and 2 can be used to score.
- A one (1) score is given to a disqualification and requires approval from event coordinator.
- The team with the highest overall number will be awarded 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place will be awarded respectively.
- The public will be welcome to visit your space and place their vote for the People’s Choice Award.
- 1st Prize: $300 and $100 Gift Card
- 2nd Prize: $200 and $50 Gift Card
- 3rd Prize: $100 and $50 Gift Card
- People’s Choice Award: Trophy and $100 Gift Card
|Setup||10 AM to Noon|
|Grilling time||Any time after approval from the organizers. Begin grilling by noon. Rack of ribs presented to judges at 4 PM.|
|Judging||4 PM to 4:30 PM|
|People's Choice tasting and judging||Begins at 4:15 PM, until samples last.|
|Award presentation||5:30 PM|