June 11, 2020: Sherlock Sam and the Missing Heirloom in Katong by A.J. Low
Available digitally: OverDrive | hoopla
- Which story in the book was your favorite? Why? Did you like how the book was set up with little stories as part of a bigger book?
- Yasmin has trouble coming up with an idea for the city her class is building- have you ever had trouble coming up with what to do for a school project? Later, Yasmin decides to make the roads and bridges uniting all her classmate's creations together, which was awesome! What would you have added to the city project if you could have built anything? Can you draw a picture of what you would have built?
- Yasmin’s family has customs like special food, clothes, and holidays that are unique to her culture- does your family have special customs or traditions? Maybe special foods you eat every year or special traditions during holidays?
- Yasmin plays dress-up with her Nani- what games or activities do you like to do with one of your relatives?
- Yasmin’s family speaks both English and Urdu, which is a language from Pakistan. Did you learn any new words reading this book? Like ‘baba=father’ or ‘hijab=scarf’ or ‘sari=dress’ or ‘nani=maternal grandmother’ or ‘salaam=hello.’ What new language would you like to learn someday?
- What did you think about the illustrations in the book? Did you like them? Did they help you understand the stories better?
- What words would you use to describe Yasmin? Do you have anything in common with Yasmin’s personality?