As Kent District Library strives to offer an innovative and unexpected physical collection, we continually work to expand our Beyond Books Collection. Items are usually chosen for the collection due to their high cost. This fits with the library's mission to offer materials people could not afford themselves while giving access to these items.
You can take these items home with you just as you would one of our books. Patrons often tell the library that they appreciate the ability to try these items out while they consider if it’s a worthwhile personal purchase. Please note that unlike our books, you can only check these items at their home locations; you can't request that it be transferred to another branch when you put one of these items on hold.
Below is a list of the items in our Beyond Books Collections:
- Mobile hotspots — Alto, Caledonia Township, Englehardt (Lowell), Nelson Township/Sand Lake, Spencer Township, Tyrone Township
- Green screen and umbrella kit — Cascade Township
- KDL Cruisers (only available during warmer weather months) — Comstock Park, East Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kelloggsville, Kentwood, Krause Memorial in Rockford, Walker and Wyoming branches plus our Service and Meeting Center
- Launchpads, tablets pre-loaded with educational apps
- Nintendo Switch game consoles — Alto, Byron Township, Cascade Township, Comstock Park, Gaines Township, Grandville, Plainfield Township, Spencer Township and Wyoming
- Ukuleles — Cascade Township, Comstock Park, East Grand Rapids, Plainfield Township
- Portable turntables — Plainfield Township Branch
- Go Pro cameras — Alpine Township, Caledonia Township, Cascade Township, East Grand Rapids, Englehardt (Lowell), Grandville, Kelloggsville, Kentwood, Krause Memorial (Rockford), Nelson Township / Sand Lake, Plainfield Township, Spencer Township, Walker, Wyoming
To check out an item, you will need
- A KDL library card (except for KDL Cruisers, which do not require a KDL library card)
- To be 18 years or older
- To have a library card in good standing (under $20 in fines)
- To sign a Borrower’s Agreement to acknowledge your responsibility for the item (including higher overdue fines than other KDL materials)
- They check out for three weeks. (Except KDL Cruisers; see below.)
- They can be renewed if there are no holds (no one waiting).
- They can be put on hold but only at the library where the item is located. They do not transfer to other locations.
- They must be returned to staff before the library closes on the day they are due at the same location they were borrowed. Overdue fines are $1 per day with no maximum. (Except for KDL Cruisers; see below.)
Select branches offer Breezer Uptown EX 8-speed bicycles for overnight checkout. Each KDL Cruiser comes with a basket, a bike lock and key. Depending on availability, patrons will have a choice of two styles of bikes: those with a horizontal crossbar and those with a more diagonal, step-through crossbar.
- Bikes are due back by closing of the branch's next business day.
- Available from roughly May 1 to Oct. 31.
- Overdue fines are $20 per day with no maximum.
- See the KDL Cruisers page for more details.