As Kent District Library strives to offer an innovative and unexpected physical collection, we continually work to expand our Beyond Books Collection. Items are usually chosen for the collection due to their high cost. This fits with the library's mission to offer materials people could not afford themselves while giving access to these items.
You can take these items home with you just as you would one of our books. Patrons often tell the library that they appreciate the ability to try these items out while they consider if it’s a worthwhile personal purchase. Please note that unlike our books, you can only check these items at their home locations; you can't request that it be transferred to another branch when you put one of these items on hold. To place any Beyond Books item on hold, call us at 616-784-2007 or make the request in person when you visit one of our branches.
Below is a list of the items in our Beyond Books Collections:
- Birdwatching backpacks (includes binoculars, guidebook, and bird observation field notebook) — Cascade and East Grand Rapids
- GoPro cameras
- Graphing calculators — Alpine Township, Byron Township, East Grand Rapids, Gaines Township, Kelloggsville, Kentwood, Englehardt (Lowell), Nelson Township/Sand Lake, Plainfield Township, Spencer Township, Tyrone Township, Walker and Wyoming
- Inflatable kayaks and accessory bag (includes life jacket and paddle) — Grandville
- iPad Air 2 (16 GB)
- KDL Cruisers (only available during warmer weather months) — Comstock Park, East Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kentwood, Krause Memorial (Rockford), Walker and Wyoming plus our Service and Meeting Center
- MiFi Verizon hotspots — Alto, Caledonia Township, Englehardt (Lowell), Krause Memorial (Rockford), Nelson Township/Sand Lake, Spencer Township, Tyrone Township
- Nintendo Switch game consoles
- Portable turntables — Cascade Township, East Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kentwood, Plainfield Township, Krause Memorial (Rockford), Walker and Wyoming
- Spot thermal camera — Englehardt (Lowell)
- Ukuleles — Cascade Township, Comstock Park, East Grand Rapids, Plainfield Township and Spencer Township
To check out an item, you will need
- A KDL library card (except for KDL Cruisers, which do not require a KDL library card)
- To be 18 years or older
- To have a library card in good standing (under $20 in fines)
- To sign a Borrower’s Agreement to acknowledge your responsibility for the item (including higher overdue fines than other KDL materials)
- They check out for three weeks. (Except kayaks and life jackets, which check out for one week, and KDL Cruisers — see details below)
- They can be renewed if there are no holds (no one waiting).
- They can be put on hold but only at the library where the item is located. They do not transfer to other locations.
- They must be returned to staff before the library closes on the day they are due at the same location they were borrowed.
Select branches offer Breezer Uptown EX 8-speed bicycles for overnight checkout. Each KDL Cruiser is a step-through style that comes with a basket, a bike lock and key.
- Bikes are due back by closing of the branch's next business day.
- Available from roughly May 1 to Oct. 31.
- See the KDL Cruisers page for more details.