There are numerous free options available for taxpayers to obtain tax products, tax preparation and assistance in filing their tax returns:
- Forms and instructions are available online.
- All KDL branches will have paper copies of a limited number of popular forms available for free. Many libraries also have a master book of current Federal forms available for reproduction. Library staff can assist you in finding and printing tax forms, although legal and ethical codes prohibit staff from giving income tax advice or opinions. Normal printing and copy fees will apply to all tax forms printed from the internet or photocopied. (Some printed forms may not be available until late February, and the City of Grand Rapids will not be providing printed tax forms to libraries.)
- Depending on your age or income, you may be eligible for free tax preparation services — see specific information below.
The IRS plans to open the 2017 filing season and begin processing individual income tax returns on January 23. The IRS has announced that individual and business taxpayers will no longer receive paper income tax packages in the mail from the IRS. The IRS is taking this step because of the continued growth in electronic filing and the availability of free options to taxpayers, as well as to help reduce costs.
View a spreadsheet of KDL branches with tax forms
The entry page for the IRS website. Contains a wealth of federal tax information and resources, including Take Steps Now for Tax Filing Season.
Federal forms and instructions. Also includes forms from previous years.
Información sobre impuestos en Español.
A limited number of forms are also available at local libraries and at the IRS office:
3251 N. Evergreen Dr. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
(800) 829-1040 for tax information
(800) 829-3676 to request forms
Popular Federal Forms
- Form 1040 | Instructions
- Form 1040EZ | Instructions
- Form 1040A | Instructions
- Form 1040X | Instructions
- Form W-4
- Form W-9
Do your federal taxes online with IRS Free File.
State tax forms. Also includes forms from previous years.
A limited number of forms are also available at local libraries and at the State of Michigan Building:
350 Ottawa NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
(800) 367-6263 to request forms
Visit the Federation of Tax Administrators for other states' tax forms.
Popular Michigan State Tax Forms
File your Michigan taxes online for free.
City of Grand Rapids tax forms
Printed forms are NOT being distributed to libraries. Please call or email the City of Grand Rapids Income Tax Department to request that a printed form be mailed to you:
A limited number of forms are also available at the Grand Rapids City Offices:
300 Monroe NW, 3rd floor
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
City of Walker tax forms
4243 Remembrance Rd. NW
Walker, MI 49534
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE)
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
For more information or for an appointment, please call (616) 871-6147 or visit the VITA website.
IRS Free File provides options for free brand-name tax software or online fillable forms plus free electronic filing. Everyone can use Free File to prepare a federal tax return. Taxpayers who make $60,000 or less can choose from 20 commercial software providers. There's no income limit for Free File Fillable Forms, the electronic version of IRS paper forms, which also has free e-filing.
Directory of free tax preparation services and resources available to assist low- to moderate-income people and senior citizens.